Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Beadless Life

After my son was born a little over a year ago, it became harder to find time to make jewelry.  Then, with the economy the way it is, my craft shows weren't as profitable as they had been in previous years.  For the past two seasons of craft shows, I sort of struggled through, receiving lots of compliments and admiration on my jewelry, and having people make small purchases, but nothing like other years.  After talking to other crafters, including those who make and sell  jewelry, pottery, knitting, soap, candles, etc., I discovered I wasn't alone in having slow craft shows.  Lots of people were attending shows, and lots were looking, but they were either not buying or only making very small purchases, like one pair of earrings.  This, after years of people buying two and three necklaces and five pairs of earrings at a time.
So,  after this last season I decided to take a break.  It's one thing for me to do a craft show and spend the day not selling much but making more jewelry and enjoying conversations with people, but when I have to ask family members to help me set up, borrow their truck, and watch my children, then not have much to show for it, it's disheartening.  Plus, most anyone can string a bead.  Craft shows have become inundated with jewelry.  Jewelry crafters who have been around for years are being lost in the massive wave of new, bright-eyed, optimistic beaders.  There is nothing wrong with new beaders, I was once new on the craft show scene, though I've been beading since the mid 80s, but when there are so many new jewelry people and many craft show coordinators don't put a limit on the amount they allow into a show, it ruins it for everyone, especially crafters and shoppers.  And honestly, I'd rather not be accepted into a show because there is too much beaded jewelry rather than be accepted and swallowed into the craft show sea of beaded jewelry.  People go to a craft show looking for variety, not to a craft show where there are five jewelry booths for every one booth of another kind of craft.
I know my jewelry is different from everyone else's, but until I can find a way to make my jewelry stand out in an ocean of beads, and until the economy improves, I am taking a break from the craft show scene, at least this year--2012.
I will miss chatting with people, whether they buy or not, and I will miss visiting with other crafters, but it's reached the point where it's simply not worth it.
I will say that the Caledon Arts & Wine Festival in King George, VA, usually held in November, has done an excellent job of having a variety of talented, quality crafts at their shows.   Here's a link to last year's show  http://caledonnaturalareafriends.webs.com/artandwinefestival.htm
That said, I'm going to go make some jewelry for a friend....
And I'm not even going to edit this.

No comments:

Post a Comment